Friday 29 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey - Day #9 : Another World War

Hey bloggers! Today is Day #9 of the Summer Learning Journey Blogging Programme! Let's Begin!

Activity 1 : An Eventful Experience 

WWII was made up of many battles and events. I have been asked to follow this link to read more about the timeline of WWII.
Image result for ww2 nz fiji]
Troops!

I have been asked to choose two key events about what happened on those days. On my blog I have to write a short summary of two events including the names of people involved and where the event happened.

  • 24 July: Due to US assuming control in Fiji, 2 NZEF troops from Fiji return to New Zealand
  • 28 July: Japanese troops move into southern Indo-China
These events took place in 1941 and 1942. The People involved were the troops from Fiji and Japanese Troops, and the events occurred on a war ground.


Activity 2 : A Call to Arms

Te Moananui-a-Kiwa Ngarimu in 1940
Moana-Nui-A-Kiwa Ngarimu!
Over the course of WWII, approximately 140,000 New Zealanders were sent overseas to serve in the war. Many were sent to fight in huge battles, including the Battle of the Atlantic that lasted for 2064 days (over 5 years)! The Battle of the Atlantic came to an end in 1943, in large part due to the heroic efforts of people like Lloyd Trigg, a pilot from New Zealand. He was awarded a special medal from the New Zealand Government for his bravery. It is called a Victoria Cross (‘VC’ for short). A total of 22 New Zealanders have been awarded VCs.

I have been asked to click on a link to find a list of VC winners! I have been asked to choose one from the Second World War and tell you about him on my blog!

I have chosen Sir Moana - Nui - A - Kiwa Ngarimu the first Maori Soilder to win a VC! He got awarded this reward on the 4th of June 1943! He earned it by shooting alot of German fierce men who tried to attack their several machine gun posts!

He was a very brave hero!

Bonus Activty : Women at Work

Both men and women served in World War II. Many women chose to enlist as nurses and be stationed overseas caring for wounded soldiers. Rachel's nana was one of those nurses. She (Dorothy) spent much of World War II working on a large Red Cross ship that was stationed off the coast of Cairo, Egypt.   

Image result for medical nurses ww2
Medical Nurses ( WW2 )
I have been asked to imagine if I were a nurse like Dorothy on a large medical ship. I also have to carry on this 8 - 10 sentence long paragraph ! Let's Go!

One day you are walking along the deck of the ship when you hear a loud bang. You start to run as you see smoke coming from the far end of the ship. You run towards the room where your patients are waiting to receive treatment from the doctor. Just as you arrive at the door to their room you hear another loud bang and you…jump. I raced to the corner of the room inside and hid. The Nurse was carefully caring for another patient. As I saw her injecting medicine into the other patient and he yelled " Ahhhh" she was an undercover nurse. She covered his nose and mouth as he couldn't breathe. I shriecked and tried not to make as many noise as I could. He stopped breathing. " No " I thought. I mustn't make a sound. She walked out the room and I was relieved. I broke the window and she saw me. I ran and jumped into the real medical boat. It seems like it was a haunted one. It sank and was never to be seen again.

Thanks for reading!
By Mitchell.M
29/12/17
 

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Mitchell, I've really enjoyed reading your story where you pretend to be Dorothy who was a nurse on board a medical ship. It's scary to think the medical ship was bombed when all they were trying to do was help people. I like how you describe what the nurse was doing, 'carefully caring', 'racing to the corner'.

    Great job, I can't wait to read another story of yours.

    Do you often write stories? What's your favourite kind of writing?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.