Tuesday 26 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey - Day #6: The Early Years

Hey bloggers! Today I am doing Day #6 because yesterday I was really busy with Christmas celebrations! Oh, Merry Christmas! Anyways Let's Start!

Activity 1 : St Joseph's Cathedral


Image result for st andrew's cathedral honolulu
St Andrew's Cathedral, Honolulu
Image Attribution

Many of the new British settlers wanted to build homes and community meeting places, such as churches. One of the largest buildings to be constructed during this period was St Joseph’s Cathedral in Dunedin.

I have been asked to search for another Cathedral and tell you on my blog what's the name, where is it located, when it was built and how long it took it to be built.

Here is one Cathedral I found named : St Andrew's Cathedral!

Name : St Andrew's Cathedral
Location : Honolulu, Hawaii - USA
It was built and opened in : 1876
It took around 1/2 years to build.

Activity 2 : The Right to Vote



Image result for women voting
Image Attribution
Did you know? in 1893, only men were legally allowed to vote. This all changed in the late 1800s when a woman named Kate Sheppard lead a movement in New Zealand calling for a change in law. Her hard work finally paid off when the Electoral Act was passed into law on 19 September 1893, giving women the right to vote. New Zealand was the first country to give all women the right to vote.

I have been asked to tell my blog what I think about women having the right to vote in 2015 for Saudi Arabians. Well I personally think that this is a matter of fact of strict laws. I've seen on the news and television Middle Eastern countries are very strict with laws.

I do think this would be normal but I wouldn't agree on not giving women rights to vote because they are human beings just like us!

Bonus Activity : In Flanders Fields


Image result for flander fields
Image Attribution
The World War 1 claimed the lives of thousands of men and women from countries around the world. Every year, we remember these brave men and women on ANZAC Day (25 April). Many people go to a special Anzac Day ceremony where they read a special poem that was written for the fallen soldiers. The poem is called ‘In Flanders Fields’ by John McCrae.

I have been asked to read this poem and post on my blog my thoughts about this poem.

Yes, I do like this poem. It's really an explanation about how these soilders passed away and how they fought for New Zealand. It does make me feel a little bit sad, but kind of happy it's now over. We are very blessed to be livivng in a independent country.

Thank you for reading today's blog post!

Thanks for reading!
By Mitchell.M
26/12/17

P.S - I hope you had a lovely Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Mitchell,

    I agree with you that 'In Flanders Fields' is quite a thought-provoking poem. It always makes me feel quite sad when I read it because it reminds me that we lost so many innocent men (and women) during the world wars. It also makes me feel very grateful as I know that their sacrifices were not in vain as we now live in a safe, free country. We're pretty lucky, aren't we?!

    Wishing you a great start to 2018.

    See you at Pt England very soon!

    Best,
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.