Thursday 21 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey - Day #4 : Hitting a High Note...

Hey bloggers! Today is Day #4 of the Summer Learning Journey! Wow! I can't believe that it's Day 4 already! Well anyways let's start today!

Activity 1 : The Waiata - A Song In Your Heart

Image result for maori culture
Image Attribution
In the past Maori People often used songs as communicating to others or telling different stories. A waiata is the name of a traditional song. One of Rachel's favourite songs are Kia Paimarie! I have been asked to research a Maori Waiata on Google, listen to the lyrics and find a favourite. I didn't need to research any waiata on Google. At School we sing heaps of waiata and have a favourite.  Name of my favourite waiata is : Tai Aroha

I have also been asked to name why it's my favourite waiata. Well it's a really beautiful song with relaxing gutair chords, beautiful singing and more lovely stuff. Now that's my favourite waiata. What's yours? Comment down below!

Activity 2 : Playing Games

Hundreds of years ago Maori children were taught to play traditional games such as :  Poi Rakau, Ki O Rahi, Koruru Taonga and Poi Toa. I have been asked to click on the links of the games and read each text including instructions, what you need and how to play!

Then I have been asked to choose one of the games and on my blog I have to tell you the name of the game, the goal or the purpose of the game and the rules. I have decided to choose the game Koruru Taonga also known as " Knucklebones ". 

Image result for knucklebones nz
Image Attribution
Name of the game : Koruru Taonga or Knucklebones

What you need : 5 stones around the same size of a 20 cent coin and some Floor Space.

The Goal or Purpose : To throw the stones in the air and try catch them only using your knuckles.  

Rules of the game : 

You cannot catch it with your hand.

You cannot throw it a short distance in the air.

You can research more.

 Instructions of the game: 

1. Hold the 5 stones in your palm. 

2. Then slightly throw it in the air. 

3. Then try catching the stones using your knucklebones. 

If 5 stones land on your knucklebones then you simply have 5 points or you won!

Bonus Activity : Musical Festivals - Matatini 

In New Zealand, a huge festival is held every two years, called Te Matatini. This performing arts festival celebrates the tikanga (culture or customs) of Māori. Kapa Haka groups from around New Zealand are invited to attend the festival and each group gives a 25-minute performance. The performances are judged and the best teams win prizes.
Image result for matatini
A Matatini Performance!
Image Attribution 

I have been asked to watch 3 previous Matatini performances on Youtube including :

Te Iti Kahurangi

Te Puku o Te Ika

and rate them from #1 - #3!

Here are my ratings based on the performances:

#1 - Te Puku o Te Ika
#2 - Te Iti Kahurangi
#3 - Tamatea Arikinui

I have chosen Te Puku o Te Ka as #1 because they have outstanding singing, beautiful formation, and lovely costumes. Their songs and waiata were amazing and well sung, however I have chosen Te Iti Kahurangi as #2 because they did have average singing, lovely voices and timing but they could've done dancing and a bit singing a little bit better overall they were awesome! Finally we have Tamatea Arikinui I have ranked #3 mainly because they could work on their singing, formation and dancing. Overall all the groups were amazing and wonderful!

Thank you for reading today's blog post for the Summer Learning Journey!

Thanks for reading!
By Mitchell.M
21/12/17

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mitchell! Wow, it took me a while to scroll down to the comment section, and when I noticed you had no comments on this post, I was surprised! You have done a great job on formatting and organizing your work! i don't agree with you on the ratings of the songs, but I do like the way that you have specifically explained why you rated each one as you had. Happy blogging (and also, Merry xmas to you!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jazire,

      Yes! I love to write a lot! Thanks for complementing me on the formatting of my blog! Well I love the ratings I put in my blog post. Did you see that these performances were performed differently in your eyes?

      Happy Blogging and Merry Xmas as well!

      Kind Regards,

      Mitchell

      Delete
  2. Hi Mitchell!

    My name is Ellee, I am another part of the Summer Learning Journey Crew that is commenting on your blogs this summer.

    Your blog is looking amazing! Great work - Seems like you have been really busy over the summer?

    Activity One: waiata
    Good choice for your waiata! I took a listen to the song on YouTube and it is really relaxing, I think the guitar is beautiful too. Do you know what the song is about?
    I think my favourite waiata is Pokarekare Ana - I used to sing it in Primary school but I didn't learn what the song was about until recently! It is a really nice love story between Hinemoa and Tutanekai set in Rotorua. If you want to check it out you can follow this link: http://www.rotoruanz.com/media/media-releases/stories-and-articles/pokarekare-ana-the-love-story-of-hinemoa-and-tutan

    Activity Two: Game
    I really like Knuckle Bones/Koruru Taonga - I used to play it a lot with my siblings and cousins! Do you play it too?
    We used to make up different levels to play then once we had finished doing them with our right hand we would try them with our left!
    I am not sure if it is still played this way?

    Bonus:
    Thank you for sharing your opinions on the different performances! You had some really great reasoning for why you ranked them the way you did. I thought they were all really beautiful too.
    I think my favourite might have been Te Iti Kahurangi, I really love the song they sang and hadn't heard it in Te Reo before. Have you heard the original? If you want to check it out you can follow this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7ZwViizRwU

    Thanks for such a great post Mitchell, was really lovely to read through - keep up the amazing work!
    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.