Tuesday 19 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey - Day #2 : It's All in a Day's Work

Maori Whare
Hey bloggers! Today is Day #2 of the Summer Learning Journey! I am so excited to start! Let's begin!

Activity 1 : A House or A Home?

In the 1800's the majority of Maori Peopl
Here is a Maori Village!
e lived in villages named Pa. Each village had something called Katua where people cooked, Pataka where they stored good food, and Wharepuni where the Maori slept. I've been asked to look at one and see if it looks like my house I live in now! On my blog, I have to compare the wharepuni to your own home. What are two similarities and two differences between a wharepuni and your house?

House Details and Differences :

Roofing : Whare = Wood, Tree Wood
Roofing  : My House = Concrete Tiles

Flooring : Whare = Wood, Plank Wood
Flooring : My House = Carpet

Walls : Whare = Maybe Rakau Wood?
Walls : My House = Cement Blocks

Windows : Whare = Mid-Air
Window : My House = Glass

Those are the differences between my house and a Maori Whare back in the historic days.


Activity 2 : The Rules Of Engagement

During the early years in New Zealand, men and women would often marry at a young age. Women were expected to have babies and remain in the home caring for their children. Few, if any, left home in search of work. Men, on the other hand, were expected to work outside of the home.

These days, we don’t have the same strict expectations about work. Girls and boys can choose their own path in life. In fact, Rachel was lucky enough to go to university and to follow her dream of becoming a teacher!

Here is a picture of me as a Flight Attendant
setting up the plane for the day!


I have been asked to draw a picture of myself working my dream job! I would love to either become a travel blogger ( like Rachel ) a flight attendant, or a vlogger or maybe even a film maker! I would love to travel the world! I've already been to Fiji, Hawaii, and Seattle! You can check out those blog posts from my travels here:

http://pesmitchellm.blogspot.co.nz/2017/09/travel-blog-post-day-6-seattle.html

Bonus Activity : Special Meals


How to Make Spam Musubi Recipe
Here is what a Musubi looks like!
Image Attribution
Click on this link to see how to make it!
Back in the 1800's Maori had a simple diet. The could simply catch fish, grow kumura plants and crops or even hunt down some wild animals such as a pig or lamb. I have been asked to post on my blog a picture my favourite food and I have to explain to you why it's my favourite food!

Rachel's favourite food is wood - fired pizza. My favourite food would have to be Spam Musubi's. Yum! They are a homemade Hawaiian Dish invented when Japanese came to Hawaii. It's so delicious. I love Musubi's because they are a mixture of Spam and Sushi and the end result is delicious.  Click on the image attribution under the image for the recipe!

Thanks for viewing today's blog post!

Thanks for reading!
By Mitchell.M
19/12/17

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mitchell it's me Levonah. Thanks for commenting on my blog. Your blog post is really cool and creative. I like how you would want to be a a travel blogger a flight attendant, a vlogger and a film maker. Keep up the good work from Levonah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitchell! Another well crafted and thorough post, congratulations!
    I was most impressed with reading the differences and similarities you have identified between the traditional wharepuni and your own home. It's cool how you are aware of the different building materials used. Well done on including some relevant pictures in your post as well.

    Have you considered what the differences might be within the two homes?

    What sort of things might you find inside your home that aren't there in a traditional wharepuni?

    In another child's blog we were having a good conversation about the purposes of each home and how they differ.

    Thanks, can't wait to hear back from you!

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy,

      Thanks again for the comment! Yes! I did compare my house and the wharepuni differences which are pretty interesting! Yes I also did use relevant pictures in my post.

      The things I might find in my home that may not have been in the traditional wharepuni may be a television, computer, couch, fridge, microwave, a mirror and lots more stuff. Thanks again!

      Mitchell

      Delete
    2. Good morning, yeah those are some pretty clear differences. Well done! Do you think you could live without all those appliances and things? Do you think you could live in a traditional wharepuni?

      Billy

      Delete
  3. Mitchell, Hi again. Thanks for another great post.

    I have really enjoyed reading your different travel blogs you have posted. You are really talented at writing, I especially like the way you organise your writing into paragraphs. It makes it much more enticing and easy to read. So thank you!

    I think you have mentioned some very cool career choices. I hope one of them comes true for you!
    Any job involving the internet and traveling mustn't be too bad!

    What do you think you would like most about becoming a flight attendant?

    Look forward to hearing more of your ideas.

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bula Vanaka Mitchell, Wow! great work Mitchell, you work is absolutely amazing I would have to say. Is show that your doing your best which is great by the way.

    Whats you favourite activity out of all of them??. I would have to chose Special Meal because it looks delicious and Yum!.

    Keep doing you best at the Summer Learning Journey because you doing so, so great.
    Here my blog if you want to check it out:https://rpsleilanir.blogspot.co.nz/2017/12/summer-learning-journey-week-1-day-1.html
    Bye Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mitchell,

    My name's Ruby and I'm one of the people who will be blogging with you alongside Rachel and Billy this summer. It's great to see that you've been working on these activities! Well done!

    I have just been reading your activity about what your favourite food is and realised I had never heard of that food ever in my life! It sounds like a very interesting meal. It looks similar to sushi but also seems like it could taste quite different. Do you make this at home? It must be trick to shape it like that!

    My favourite food is chicken pie. My Dad makes it really well. I've been trying to achieve chicken pie greatness like my Dad, but haven't yet so will keep working on it.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over the summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.