Sunday 31 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey - Day #10 : Coming to an End

Hey bloggers! Today is Day #10 of the Summer Learning Journey and also my last blog post for 2017! It's been a really amazing journey blogging! Anyways, let's begin!
Image result for family party
Image Attribution

Activity 1 : VE Day!

After six long years of fighting, World War II finally came to an end in 1945. The entire country was ecstatic and parties were thrown all over New Zealand to celebrate VE Day (Victory in Europe).

I have been asked to imagine that you were living in New Zealand in 1945 and you had to plan a VE day party at your house. Who would you invite? What would you do to celebrate?

If I had planned a VE party I would invite my family! My cousins, sisters, brothers, uncles, aunties, grandparents, great - grandparents, parents and more! We would have a BBQ, a huge swimming pool, sport games playing, music, cold beverages and food, and heaps more I would include!

Activity 2 : Making a Fashion Statement

In the years following World War II, things slowly returned to normal in New Zealand. Soldiers returned home and settled back into regular life; and national sporting teams, like the New Zealand cricket team, got back together and started playing matches again. In the late 1940s, men and women would go to watch these events, men wearing hats and suits and women wearing dresses, hats, and gloves.

Image result for 2017 clothes men
Image Attribution
Image result for 1940's fashion
1940's Fashion!
I have been asked to compare clothes from the 1940's to 2017. Is there any differences?

The differences I see are the bright colours in the 2017 clothing fashion but there is lack in the 1940's fashion.

Also I can see that the difference with the shoes are very big. In the 1943 picture the shoes are very classic and basic but with the 2017 picture the shoes are very trendy.

I rather wear the 2017 style. It's really trendy and i'm used to wearing similar to the 2017 picture.

Bonus Activity : Sweet Tooth

Purini ( Steamed Pudding )
When World War II ended, a number of people from Europe moved to New Zealand looking for a peaceful place to live and raise a family. When they came, they brought recipes and foods from their native countries with them, including hamburgers, pizza and other delicious foods.

I have been asked to post my favourite sweet food/desert on my blog. Rachel's is a Chocolate Chip Cookie with Tea.

My favourite desert is Bread and Butter Pudding. Yum! My great - grand mother makes these delicious deserts sometimes when I go to her house. The name for it in my Fijian Culture is called '' Purini " - steamed pudding. We usually eat it alongside with Custard, Cassava Cake, Bread with Butter, Jam and also Tea.

Here is my great-grandmothers recipie I found in her cook book hiding in her kitchen :

You will need :

  • 3 cups plain flour 
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 cup sugar
  • 1 tin coconut cream
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground clove
  • 2 litre pudding tin
Instructions : 
  1. Melt sugar in a small saucepan on medium heat. Do not burn sugar. 
  2. Put in some coconut cream slowly to the melted sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Stir well slowly. 
  3. Stirring constantly, bring the syrup to the boil then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
  4. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and the whisk ingredients together.
  5. Fold the sugar syrup into the dry ingredients and mix well.
  6. Pour the batter into the buttered pudding tin and steam for 1½ hours in a large pot over the stovetop.
  7. Test if fully cooked with a skewer inserted into the middle of pudding and return to stovetop if necessary.
Thank you for reading!

Thanks for reading!
By Mitchell.M
31/12/17

Last day of 2017! How will you celebrate it? We are going to watch some fireworks in Auckland City! ,

Mitchell

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mitchell, happy new year! Great to see you are blogging still, keep it up!

    Thanks for sharing your party planning ideas for the VE party. It sounds awesome, I like how specific you've been with everything. What sort of food would you cook on the BBQ?

    What sort of music would you play? What games would you play?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy, happy new year as well! We celebrated by watching the fireworks in the city! What did you do?

      I loved to plan the VE Party! The Music I would play would be just fun, happy music. Also the food I would cook on the BBQ would be pork, chicken and probably meat patties for burgers.

      Thanks, Mitchell

      Delete
    2. Hey, awesome that sounds like a lot of fun. What did you think of the fireworks display? I saw a really cool video of a fireworks display in Taiwan. I spent new year's eve celebrating with friends, it was fun.

      Fantastic, you would definitely want happy party music to celebrate the victory. I think you would have to have a moment of silence to think about all of the soldiers who did not return from war.

      Yum, lots of meat. Sounds perfect!

      Thanks, Billy

      Delete
  2. Great post! Thanks for the wondeful blog post Mitchell. Keep up the great work. From,

    T

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.