Tuesday 11 July 2017

Mitchell - WLJ - Day #4 - Swimming with Sharks

Hey bloggers! Today is officially Day #4 of the Winter Learning Journey. According to the title it looks like I am learning about sharks. Sounds awesome! Let's start! - After a long day in the North Island, we decide to travel to the South Island for more exploration. Let's hit the road!

Activity 1 : Farewell Spit

When we arrive to the South Island - Curious Kiwi rents a shuttle van and drives your group from Picton to a beautiful beach on the other side of the Island. It's named Golden bay, and on one end of the bay is a stunning area named Farewell Spit. It's been on the news for several times, because whales keep getting stuck there and can't go back to sea.
Image result for farewell spit
Image attribution
I have been asked to read a news article to see how the people are trying to get the whales out of Farewell Spit. To earn points I must write on my blog what the local people did to save the whales. 

Here are some ways the local people helped the whales. They helped by:

Keep them wet by squirting water on them constantly.
Cover them with towels, t-shirts, and sarongs to drape over them with water.
Keep their blowholes clear in case they blow out any water
Grabbing their chilly bins, water bottles, cooking pots, and mixing bowls to fill with water to keep them alive.

Activity 2 : Whale Rider - Review

After working and helping at Golden Bay, we decide to head to a nearby town named Nelson to watch a special movie named Whale Rider. It's a really popular movie about a young girl who grew up in New Zealand.
Image result for whale rider
Image attribution

I have been asked to watch 2 trailers about Whale Rider. Let's watch it!

I just finished watching the Whale Rider trailer and I am now writing a summary about it. 
The movie is based about a young girl named Paikea! She wants to learn about chiefdom in her tribe, but it's only for men. But with the help of some family she finds riding whales is fun!

Out of 5 to rate it, I would give it a 4  because it wasn't that bad but it was a alright movie!

Bonus : Hector's Dolphins
Image result for hector's dolphin
Image attribution

Did you know? that Hector's Dolphins measure to 1.5 meters long which makes it the shortest dolphin in the world! That's interesting! Also they are very rare and are killed every year, because of fishermen who catch the dolphins in the net and can't escape. Some people had even argued about if fishermen should be allowed to fish in Farewell Spit or not.

I have been asked to put my idea on my blog! I think that fishing in Farewell Spit should be banned and illegal. Anyone who fishes on Farewell Spit should get a penalty and get fined. Some may even have to go to court!

Well that's this blogpost for today!

Thanks for reading!
By Mitchell.M
11/07/17 

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Mitchell! It's great to read that you enjoyed the 'Whale Rider' trailer. I wasn't sure what you would think of it as it's quite dramatic and based on the story of a young girl striving to become a leader and chief of her people. I first saw the movie years ago and immediately liked it because it taught me a great deal about Maori culture. At the time I lived in Canada so I knew very little about New Zealand but, now that I live in NZ and have a half-Maori son, the movie is even more special to me!

    I hope that your term has started off well. It sounds like you had a great time at the assembly on Monday. Ms Nalder is a student of mine (she's doing her master's degree at the university) so I will have to ask her about her dancing the next time that I see her!

    On that note, I will see you tomorrow when I come into Pt England to hand out the certificates and prizes for the Winter Learning Journey programme.

    See you then!!

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.